|Project led by Easymile
|H2020 European project
|Total Budget: €26,4 milion
|Pproject duration: january 2021/December 2023
The European project « AWARD » is dedicated to the automation of heavy-duty vehicles in logistics operations. With a consortium of 29 European partners including CARA, the project is led by Easymile, a CARA member.
This ambitious project is financed under the European Commission’s “Horizon 2020” programme funded with €20 million. The project started on 1st January 2021 and will end on 31st December 2023.
AWARD will develop and enabling to deploy a safe autonomous transportation system in a wide range of real-life use cases in a variety of different scenarios. The project will develop an autonomous driving system (ADS) capable of handling adverse environmental conditions such as heavy rain, snowfall, or fog. The ADS solution will be based on multiple sensor modalities to address 24/7 availability. The ADS will be integrated into multiple vehicle types used in low-speed areas.
These vehicles will be deployed, integrated, and operated in 4 real-life use cases to validate their value and identify any limitations:
- Warehouse: autonomous Truck loading with Autonomous Forklift demonstrator
- Hub-to-hub shuttle service from warehouse/production site to logistics hubs
- Aiport: autonomous Ground Support Equipment: transport of goods in indoor and outdoor environments
- Port: Container transfer operations and automated boat loading
CARA will intervene in 4 work package in the Award project :
- Tests, methodology & evaluation
- Economic viability, definition of new business models and regulatory frameworks
- Communication and dissemination
- Project management